Thursday, June 18, 2009

Like Gordon Freeman, minus the sweet goatee...

Yeah, I lost my voice yesterday, on my birthday of all days. Yeah, it got worse throughout the day, until finally at night I really couldn't say anything at all unless I pushed word out through my diaphragm. Yeah.

So i thought, while also thinking about one of my heroes, Gordon Freeman, about how easy it would be to be a mute. I mean, like how you would never say anything you didn't mean, or swear, or put anyone down with your mouth.

But then I also thought about how much it would suck not to be able to talk at all. To never express yourself, or use the phone, or anything really at all that require communication.

James 3:9-12
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.


The mouth is both a dangerous tool and an amazing tool, yet we continue to abuse it, most of the time saying things we don't mean, or are careless with what we say. We really do need to try and control our mouths, no mater how hard it is, and try not to be the small spark that sets the great forest on fire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good verse. I also like the verse about the tounge being like a rudder for a ship, being about to steer it even though it seems so insignificant. Actually, that might have been for something else...

Anonymous said...

"Your tongue is a rudder.
It steers the whole ship.
Sends your words past your lips
Or keeps them safe behind your teeth.
But the wrong words will strand you.
Come off course while you sleep.
Sweep your boat out to sea
Or dashed to bits on the reef."